Golden Bay Promotion Association Inc
We are a non-profit organization, run by a membership committee. Our membership is made up of local businesses, private people and some life members. View the GBPA Constitution PDF
- Publicise Golden Bay both nationally and internationally to attract visitors and business interests.
- To assist, promote and encourage sustainable industrial and tourist development.
- To assist in the coordination of all activities in the district considered likely to achieve the forgoing objects.
- To cooperate with local groups in ensuring that visitors are welcomed, entertained or given information while visiting the district.
- Golden Bay Heart of the Parks Brochure – A compact and colourful generic brochure displayed nationally in i-Sites and other key locations to attract visitors to our district. This is funded by our membership fees.
- Golden Bay Visitor Guide – A comprehensive Golden Bay guide book available in all top of the South Island i-Sites, eg Nelson, to provide visitors with detailed information about our attractions. This is funded by business advertising.
- The Yellow Map – A Golden Bay map and directory of our members’ business locations. This is funded by Golden Bay Promotion Association members’ advertisements.
- Hanging Flower Baskets – Funding and coordinating of the display of hanging flower baskets in Takaka and Collingwood townships over the summer period with the assistance of the Rose Association and other volunteers.
- Golden Bay Stickers – Printing and distributing Golden Bay Heart of the Parks car and envelope stickers.
- Totally Local Market – Event funding.
- Visitor Survey Forms – Survey activities to obtain visitor feedback.
Golden Bay Marketing Initiatives
- Advertising in national and international publications to raise the profile of Golden Bay to a wider audience.
- Advertising during shoulder and off-peak periods to extend Golden Bay’s visitor season.
- Festival Sites – In the past we have represented Golden Bay at Ecofest in Nelson, the Brightwater Food and Wine Festival (in conjunction with members).
- Product Bank – To promote our members’ businesses by maintaining a list of complementary products and services offered to tourism industry personnel visiting Golden Bay.
- Public relations: – To increase the profile of Golden Bay and respond to media requests in a manner that promotes Golden Bay in a positive way.
- Nelson/Richmond advertising: – To initiate a programme to target our closest market by promoting Golden Bay as a destination and its products at both the Nelson Market and Richmond Mall.
- The design of new “Welcome” signage is being discussed with the Arts Council and artists. The group is developing sculpture and signage to represent the uniqueness of Golden Bay and ideally will be represented at the top of the Takaka Hill, the entrance to Takaka, and the entrance to Collingwood, with opportunities to expand to other “gateways” to Golden Bay, such as Brown’s Hut and Totaranui. Grants have been secured for seed funding for the project.
- Group displays are a more cost-effective way of attracting show and exhibit visitors because of the size of the display and the shared stall rent. We had a joint Golden Bay display with fourteen GBPA member businesses at the Activities, Experience and Adventure Show held at the new Claudelands Events Centre in Hamilton on 26th to 28th April. With the big display of brochures and posters, we hope to attract more interest in Golden Bay. There were 15,000 visitors at the show.
- We also invite GBPA members to join us in our group display at the Wellington Food Show (24 to 26 May 2013) which is expected to attract 25,000 visitors. GBPA will be sharing a stall with Anatoki Salmon. As this can be expensive for the association, we invite members to join in exchange for promoting your business. For $69 (incl gst) members will have their brochures or rack cards displayed at the stall and will be included in the ‘Golden Bay Specials’ flyer to be distributed to visitors. There are currently nineteen member businesses joining the Golden Bay display. Again, this will show audiences in Wellington an assortment of Golden Bay accommodations, activities and products from Golden Bay.
- We are compiling an image library for use in Golden Bay posters, banners and the GBNZ website. We are looking for not only landscape photos which abound, but also photos of people enjoying the diverse activities in GB. We thank those who have sent us their photos and will be acknowledging the owners of the photos if published. If you have good high-resolution action photos featuring Golden Bay and would like to share them with us, please email them to email@example.com
- GBPA wrote a submission supporting the Golden Bay Cycle and Walkway society on its proposal for the Pohara to Takaka cycleway. Should you want to read more about the project , here is a link to the TDC website which also provides a downloadable submission form: www.tasman.govt.nz/
- Our search for an appropriate logo for Golden Bay in a recent competition was not successful locally so we requested a design company near Nelson a logo concept that will reflect the art, people, beauty and vibrancy of Golden Bay. We received a Pub Charity grant for this and the process is in its final stages. The logo and branding will be used on next season’s colour map, Visitor Guide, website, and other promotional material for Golden Bay.
- There are possible changes to the Golden Bay i-SITE operations as presented in the TDC Annual draft plan. A recent workshop about this was conducted at the Takaka Bowling Club rooms by Lynda Keene, CEO of Nelson Tasman Tourism. This was attended by GB Promotion management committee representatives together with some interested GBPA members, DOC, the GB Community Board, Mayor Kempthorne and TDC CEO Lindsay McKenzie. A follow-up meeting of the core group was held on 8th May where a work group was formed. Regular updates will be emailed to members.
- The AGM will be held on 4th June (Tuesday) at the Pohara Boat Club, at 7:00 PM. All paid-up financial members as at 31 March 2013 are entitled to vote. Notices were sent to members.
We welcome questions, suggestions and feedback from you about any of the above matters. Please email them to me and I will forward them to the committee member concerned. firstname.lastname@example.org
The Product Bank is a list kept by the Golden Bay Promotion Association of member establishments who are willing to donate an aspect of their service/product for the promotion of Golden Bay.
Examples of the products/ services may include, but are not limited to: a B&B operator who is willing to donate one off-season night per year, a tour operator offering a free tour for 2 persons, a restaurant offering a meal for two persons, or a business offering products for a gift pack.
The donated products/services are available for use by:
- information officers or managers from Visitor Information Centres in New Zealand on familiarisation tours of Golden Bay
- travel agents from other countries
- travel writers
- other promotional purposes that will benefit Golden Bay, e.g. prize for a competition
The product bank benefits you as an individual business operator by providing an opportunity to promote your own business/ products , as well as beautiful Golden Bay.
When your product/ service is required, a GBPA committee member will contact you. You are not required to give your service or product if you are already fully booked or if the timing is not right.
The Product Bank list is regularly updated. Should you wish to be included in the Product Bank list or renew your offer from previous years, please email email@example.com